Another hearty breakfast idea for the weekend or anytime you fancy!
For Tomato, Avocado & Ricotta Toppings
- ½ lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 avocados, halved and core removed
- ½ lb ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon
For Fried Eggs & Toasted Bread
- canola oil, for frying
- eggs (1-2 per person, depending on what is preferred too)
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf of bread
- olive oil, to drizzle
- red pepper flakes, to garnish
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. In another bowl, scoop out the avocado and use a fork to smash it until smooth and slightly chunky. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. In another bowl, whisk the ricotta until smooth and creamy. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Refrigerate these toppings until ready to serve.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Crack a few eggs into the pan at a time. Season with salt and pepper. While they are cooking, spoon the hot oil over the egg whites so they cook evenly and set up. Cook until the egg yolk has reached your desired doneness. Repeat with the rest of the eggs. (If making a lot, use multiple pans.)
- Preheat the oven and turn the broiler on high. Slice the loaf of bread into 1-inch slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and drizzle each side with olive oil. Toast in the broiler until crispy but still soft in the middle, just a minute or two on each side (watch them carefully…they will burn quickly).
Spread the toasted bread with either the smashed avocado or whipped ricotta. Place eggs on top of some of the toasts and spoon the tomatoes over the rest. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over the bruschetta and dig in. Or forget all of this and arrange the bruschetta in any way you’d like!